At Full Spectrum Health Center for Integrative Medicine, the application of integrative medicine works at two levels. When evaluating the root cause of your imbalance, our team of practitioners integrates physical, emotional and mental assessments of your symptoms. This includes the hormonal, nervous system, nutritional and muscular sources of discomfort. But a person is more than just flesh and bones! So, we also assess the role of past emotional traumas and current mental patterns in creating or maintaining physical disturbances.
When determining your treatment plan, we integrate biochemical therapies (medicinal plants, IV therapies, diet and pharmaceuticals when necessary) with manual therapies (craniosacral manipulation), energetic (acupuncture, homeopathy, healing touch) and psychological/mental therapies (hypnotherapy and neurolinguistic programming) in order to treat the full spectrum of who you are and what your illness means to you.
Holistic Pediatric Care
Dr. Hedayat has specialized training in pediatric disorders. Using his unique approach to disorders, Dr. Hedayat is able to provide holistic care for the diagnoses listed below. Dr. Hedayat does not offer general pediatric care or administer vaccinations. It is important that you continue to maintain your relationship with your current primary health provider.
- Autistic Spectrum
- Sensory Integration Disorder
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Low muscle tone
- Seizure disorder
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Down’s Syndrome
- Digestive disorders
- Cancer support
- Recurrent tonsillitis, strep throat, bronchitis, etc.
The following are key indicators that your child may need a holistic pediatric evaluation:
- Mother had dental work before or during pregnancy
- Mother received steroids or antibiotics during labor, or pitocin to induce labor
- Baby looked was floppy or blue on delivery, needed oxygen or antibiotics, or had to stay in NICU more than 1 day
DIET: If your child eats:
- Sugary foods in place of meals
- More than 4 glasses of milk per day
- Mac & cheese “only food” child will eat
- Eating dirt, chewing on shoes (PICA)
- Always sick
- Constant runny nose
- Nasally voice
- Mood swings, outburst of emotions
- Difficulty maintaining age-appropriate attention level
- Hair: low on the forehead
- Eyebrows: touching, thick, very dark
- Eyelashes: very long but thin
- Black, blue or red marks under eyes
- Cavities, more than 2
- Tongue tremors when they stick it out
- Palms red
- Palms clammy
- Palms moist
- Nails: pits, ridges, or split nails
- Lower Arms: dark hair
- Lower Legs: dark hair
- Constipation + diarrhea + fowl gas
- Pushes on abdomen
- Puts hands down pants
- Smears stool
- Scratches anus
The Endobiogenic Concept
The Endobiogenic method is a systematic approach to understanding how the body works, why an individual person becomes ill, and how the body can be returned to a state of balance. First and foremost, Endobiogeny is a philosophy of medicine that views imbalances as originally helpful reactions that become dysregulated over time—not as an enemy to control or suppress.
For example, women undergoing menopause often have cholesterol. Is that a disease? No, because cholesterol is the precursor of hormones such as estrogen and progesterone. So, it’s a natural reaction for the body to want to hang on to the precursor of estrogen when estrogen levels drop low. But, if the body can’t make the estrogen because the ovaries are not responsive anymore, just hanging on the cholesterol may not help and may contribute to heart disease if there is inflammation and other factors present. Thus, the Endobiogenic method evaluates the person rather than a single blood test or symptom.
Second, it evaluates the whole person, body considering past and present events in your life, such as the death of a parent in childhood, divorce, loss of a job, etc. and the physical impact it has on the body. For example, the death of a parent at 5 years of age, 12 years of age and 40 years of age produces very different hormonal reactions and can have completely different effects on our health.
The third and most astounding aspect of the endobiogenic system is the lab system called the biology of functions—a window into the inner workings of your body. Traditional medical tests have limited how effectively doctors could evaluate functional illnesses. This is because they were based on a disease-based model of illness.
For example, when a person has Addison’s disease, a disorder of the adrenal gland, there are blood tests that tell your doctor when your adrenal gland is so diseased that it is life-threatening. But what about when you have low blood sugar, feel tired all the time, or have frequent fungal infections? The same tests for Addison’s disease are normal, but you don’t feel normal. This is what we call “adrenal fatigue”, and it can’t be detected in with regular blood tests.
Biology of Functions
How many times have you felt sick but your doctor told you that there was nothing wrong with you because your labs were normal? The Biology of Functions is a biological modeling algorithm and is different from regular lab tests because it doesn’t measure disease. The biology of functions evaluates function.
Modern blood testing is based on two ways of evaluating the body: direct and indirect. The direct method is to measure blood elements, such as hemoglobin, platelets and white cells. It measures blood elements but doesn’t relate their numbers to the function of the body. The indirect method is to measure enzymes and factors that are spilled into the blood when the organs or cells which produce them are damaged, like a cracked pitcher of milk that leaks its content in the refrigerator. It measures late stages of disease that have already led to some organ damage.
If a person were under mental stress, would you wait until they had a nervous breakdown before you asked them how they are feeling, or would you want to intervene when they were still able to function and cope with their stress?
Thus, the biology of functions evaluates how well your body is working and how hard it has to try to make it work that well. It creates a snapshot of your body and asks “What is the function of each part of your body and what is the function of your whole body?” rather than, “Is there a disease or not?” The human body is not a black and white, on and off system to either be healthy or sick. Everything in nature exists on a gradient, a subtle scale of function. Some things function well, others not so well. Therefore, the way we measure the body should reflect how the body is functioning in real life.
Thus, the biology of functions looks at subtle and often early imbalances that occur before normal blood tests reveal damage to organs. For example, a person can suffer from a pre-diabetic state for years before developing diabetes. Early signs include blood sugar imbalance and mild nerve dysfunction that may not be present on physical exam or regular blood tests because they are functional imbalances. The ability to detect warning signs today means you can make meaningful changes in your lifestyle and diet to prevent or slow down the progression degenerative states in the body.
Dr. Hedayat is a Stanford-trained physician practicing Endobiogeny, a new French Medicine that combines the science of Western medicine with the wisdom of Eastern medicine. Dr. Hedayat uses the Endobiogenic method to get to the root of problems rather than only treating symptoms. Using a biological modeling lab system and medicinal plants as his primary approach, and reserving prescription remedies for more advanced cases, Dr. Hedayat has successfully worked with pre-pregnant, pregnant and post-pregnancy mothers and their children.
Dr. Hedayat treats the following types of disorders:
Before Pregnancy: Infertility, optimizing pre-conception health (detoxificaiton, chelation, nutrition optimization), managing pre-pregnancy problems such as depression, multiple sclerosis, thyroid problems, etc. with safe treatments
During pregnancy: Pregnancy-induced illnesses such as kidney stones, acid reflux, prolonged vomiting, delayed onset of contractions, and other issues
After birth: Post-partum depression, reduced or excessive milk production problems, and other disorders
INFANTS AND CHILDREN
Infants and children: Autism, sensory integration disorders, Cerebral Palsy, Down’s syndrome, severe reflux and colic, sleep disorders, bed wetting, recurring infections, and other infant and childhood disorders
Healthy Pregnancy, Healthy Child
Having a child is one of the greatest joys in life. To ensure a healthy and happy child, the mother should be at her optimal level of health and balance before conceiving. Here are some tips to optimize your health and the health of your child from conception to weaning. The health of the mother directly affects the health of the infant: establish a relationship with a progressive healthcare provider from 3-12 months before you try to conceive a child
- Correct hormonal and nervous imbalances to ensure a smoother conception, pregnancy and delivery the biology of functions test can evaluate the functional state of your body before trying to conceiving, allowing us to optimize your ability to conceive and carry a pregnancy to term (only available at Full Spectrum Health Integrative Medical Center)
- Heavy metal evaluation: If heavy metals are determined to be a clinically significant problem, they will need to be addressed 1 year before conception. We have observed in our practice that the mother’s of children with learning disorders have a similar toxicity pattern to their affected child, meaning the mother shed toxins during pregnancy and affected the child.
- Dental Cleanings: have any cleanings or other work done before conceiving.
- Multivitamin and supplements (see below) 2-3 months before trying to get pregnancy.
- Reduce stress, actively promote stress reduction: Prayer, yoga, meditation, hypnosis, biofeedback, etc.
- Nutrition: Do not over eat: during the first trimester you need to eat one extra snack, and during the second and third trimesters you need two extra snacks, in order to meet the caloric requirements for pregnancy
- Pre-natal Multivitamin
- Health, organic whole-food diet is the best way to get natural sources of key minerals, vitamins and fatty acids to create an optimal environment for your child’s development
- Supplements: If you have any of the following conditions as a mother, or in a prior pregnancy, special supplements or medicinal plants may be beneficial for your health and that of your developing baby: Allergies, eczema, or asthma; Learning disorders; Anemia; Disease of inflammation: arthritis, lupus, thyroid disease, etc.; Immune imbalance
- Light Exercise: especially pelvic and abdominal muscle
After Pregnancy (Breast feeding mothers)
- Multivitamin: continue your prenatal vitamins as long as you are nursing your child
- If you have allergies: take probiotics for at least 6 months after the birth of your child to reduce their risk of developing allergies
- Diet: Discuss with your mother and grandmother what they did to feed you. Recent studies suggest that waiting more than 9 months to start children on solid foods, or restricting potentially allergenic foods like peanuts and fish can increase the risk of allergies.
The treatment philosophy of the Endobiogenic method is quite simple: Restore the body to balance.
Most imbalances can be treated with 3 simple approaches: 1) Diet, Detoxification and Drainage, 2) Nutritional supplements, 3) Medicinal plants.
With severe or advances cases we will use prescription medications to help stabilize your body, then transition to natural treatment options if and when your body tolerates it. In many cases, prescription medications can be reduces or eliminated if your imbalances are not severe, if you follow our recommendations, and in consultation with your regular doctor.
Often we find that medicinal plants are very effective in treating imbalances in the body. The reason for this is because plants contain multiple active compounds that compliment each other in treating the whole person. For example, olive leaf can be used to treat all the imbalances in metabolic syndrome, which is associated with obesity and heart disease. It detoxifies the liver, reduces cholesterol, balances blood sugar, lowers blood pressure, and is calming to the nerves.
The Endobiogenic system can offer support during standard medical treatments by addressing some of the side effects encountered from radiation and chemotherapy. The optimal diet and lifestyle changes can be suggested based in order to optimize your body’s immune system. Medicinal plants and special supplements can help strengthen your body and prime it to have the best response to traditional treatments.
In cases of inoperable or untreatable cancers, the endobiogenic system may be able to offer insights into the factors contributing to unhealthy cell growth and suggest natural treatments that modulate these factors.